Sunday, August 25, 2013

Snapshots from Boston

Ever taken a personality test?  Over the last week, I've noticed a good amount of Facebook posts about the myths to being an introvert.  For example, introverts don't like public speaking or being in crowded rooms.  It comes at a surprise to most people that I am an introvert, and if you've ever met me in person, you'd think differently.  However, I couldn't agree with my Myers-Briggs type more.  I think my favorite definition of an introvert is someone who draws energy from being alone.  There's something thrilling to me about being able to wander and explore by yourself.
Working full time has given me an appreciation for those stolen moments alone, as rare as they can be in my profession.  Last Friday, I had the opportunity of going to our company's office in Boston to have my computer fixed.  No computer meant no way of working, and with no way of working, that meant more time for exploration.  Our office is conveniently located in Back Bay, one of the oldest neighborhoods of the city and home to Copley Square (excellent shopping) and the Boston Public Library.  If you didn't know any better, you'd think I purposely brought my camera out for this.
Aside from the tourists, which for a Friday morning weren't too large in amount, the day proved to be a perfect source of creativity.  I'm one of those weird people (I think it comes from way one too many creative writing classes) who likes to write novels in their head when their alone.  I never actually write down anything, but it's fun to muse on for a bit.  With the Italian architecture and the coffered ceilings, it's really hard not to find inspiration there.

Unfortunately, I had to rush back to the office to pick up my computer and get on my flight.  The beach was waiting, and I had a flight to Tampa in the early afternoon.  My only regret?  Not getting food at the market at Copley Square.  I like to pretend sometimes when I'm in a new place what it would be like living there.  For Boston?  Life would be filled with plenty of walks and books.  At least, that's what it'd be like in my imagination.

Let me know what you think.  I'm headed back to Boston for Labor Day weekend, so if any of you guys have any suggestions of places to go eat, drink, and otherwise be merry, please let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment