Sunday, November 18, 2012

Travel 101: 5 Drugstore Staples to Live by

The holidays are fast approaching this week, and as such hundreds, thousands, and millions of people will be packing into their cars, buses, trains and planes to make it home for the holidays.  More likely than not, you probably will need to stop by your local drug store or grocery store for a supply or two.  Here's a list of some things that never leave my suitcase when I'm on the road:


NEUTROGENA MAKE UP REMOVER CLEANSING TOWLETTES:
I'm a huge fan of these as a form of make up remover.  Not only do they eliminate the need for liquid make up removers and cotton pads, but they're small, portable, and effective.  One towelette can clean up your entire face, and remove even the most water proof of eye make up.  These should complement your daily skin care routine, and not rid of it.  As such, use it before you use your face wash as an added level of facial clean.  I'm a big fan of the night cleansing variety which smells a little like lavender.

OLAY COMPLETE ALL DAY MOISTURIZER:
Yes, I spelled "moisturizer" wrong in the graphic... but I'm also too lazy to open up Photoshop again and fix it.  What I'm NOT too lazy to do is moisturize.  Every beauty magazine or dermatologist will tell you that the secret to great skin is a good moisturizer with SPF.  I have sensitive combination oily/dry skin so finding a good one is a bit of a task.  Fortunately, my dermatologist recommended pretty much everything from Olay's skincare line, and this has been the first and only thing that's worked on me.  Put it on when you wake up in the morning and before you go to sleep at night, and you'll have great, tight skin to last you through the day.

REVLON TRUE PRECISION STEEL TWEEZERS:
A good pair of tweezers can come with a myriad of different uses for them.  You can use it to open plastic wrap on something you've bought, opening it up a stuck battery compartment, and heck... as a beauty tool.  For me, the sharper and more precise the tweezer, the better.  Revlon makes  a great sharp tip tweezer that's helped me get rid of the tiniest of hairs, and comes with a plastic cap to make sure the tip stays sharp.

ALTOID SMALLS:
Historically, I'm a notorious gum chewer, but ever since a stick of gum fell into one of my purses and damaged the interior, I've tried my best to keep away from it.  Fortunately for me, these have been my latest go-to when it comes to fresh breath.  It's about 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches, and you can put it everywhere.  I've got a pack in my car, a pack in my purse, and a pack in my work bag.  Did I also mention, that they're curiously strong?

MAKE UP BRUSHES FROM DUANE READE:
This is probably the hardest to find of the items, given that Duane Reade is a NY/NJ limited drug store. Fortunately, Duane Reade is starting a trend with their make up counter the "Look" boutique, so who knows where this can go?  (I think CVS has started their own beauty club?).  In any case, I'm a cheap skate when it comes to everything besides the actual make up.  As such, you probably won't see any make up tools over $25 in my bag.  I've seen some terrible brushes (i.e. anything from Target and CVS), but my hands down favorite has got to be Duane Reade's.  Their selection of brushes are affordable, and they don't shed.  The coverage on them is amazing as well.  It's an item constantly on my list to restock whenever I'm in New York... as such, if you ever get a chance, go grab yourself one or two or three!

What do you think?  What are some of your drugstore staples?  Holler at your girl down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment