Saturday, September 8, 2012

Travelogue: The Portable Madrileña Part I

Remember when I said that I would be posting often on this trip?  Clearly, I was very much incorrect, as evidenced by the fact that I am clearly at home right now.  After arriving, we spent two days in Madrid before departing for Toledo for a day en route to Barcelona.  Surprisingly enough, Madrid proved to be the very definition of calm and quiet, with a large amount of its population being on holiday.

Lunch at Dolores Promesas at Sant Pere in Madrid

As tired and hungry tourists, our introduction to the city was through food.  As with a majority of Spanish cities (especially those frequented by tourists), tapas dominate the culinary scene.  With the aid of some guidebooks (namely "Rick Steves"... or as my friend Ashley lovingly calls him "Rick"), we found an amazing little canape (toast with meat, cheeese or sauce on top) bar a couple blocks down from our hotel called "Dolores Promesas."

Above:  Book stands on the side of the Cuesta de Moyano; Below:  Parque del Retiro

With the streets being mostly empty -- aside from tourists and the few locals we did spot -- we had plenty of room to wander around before the art museums became free of charge.  The Old Quarters of Madrid seemed to be a treasure trove for the intellectual, with used books peddlers with goods from as early as the late 1800's in great abundance.  Wandering through a mostly empty park with unobstructed views didn't hurt too much either.


Somehow through all of the wandering and our tired stupor, we managed to hit both the Prado and the Reina Sofia art museums.  Unfortunately, I got a stern talking to when I attempted to take a picture at the Prado, but fortunately, the Reina Sofia museum was a little bit more relaxed about me pulling out my camera phone.

In any case, it's my first weekend back in Atlanta before I fly off to Dallas for training.  More Spain recapping to be done later!  Holler at your girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment