Friday, June 29, 2012

Lookbook: Blazing White at Work

Out with the old and in with the new?  Being the spendthrift that I am (or in other words, "incredibly cheap"), that saying doesn't exactly sit well with me.  When you're a fresh college graduate with a wardrobe that can best be described as "blue, black, and gray," finding the right summer work outfit can be quite the challenge, especially when on a budget and with limited suitcase space.  The key characteristics to aim for when styling yourself for travel-related work is portable, reusable, and current.  As such, I tried to combine an old dress with some new pieces to create a whole new outfit.  Even not-trendy Vivian is a little surprised at how well this turned out.

Zara Navy Jersey Blazer (sold out; similar ); Club Monaco White Sheath Dress (old; similar); Plenty by Tracy Reese Black Suede Pumps(old); Madewell Gold Trapeze Necklace; Marc Jacobs Black Leather Cross Body (old)

I first got this dress on sale from Club Monaco two years ago.  It was hip hugging and had a little bit of a conservative sexiness to it, which in turn made it a great game day dress for football games.  Keep in mind, I was in a sorority in a public Southern school.  As such, football was king, and it was perfectly normal for us to wear our Sunday best on game day.  Case in point:  same dress, different occasion.  The dress by itself showed a little too much skin on top to be work appropriate and my office keeps the air conditioning on ridiculously cold.  As such, I added a navy jersey blazer that I had just purchased from Zara.  As my friend David the personal shopper says, every woman needs a good blazer in her wardrobe.

With one final touch, I also paired it with a gold geometric necklace from Madewell.  The necklace is great because it really goes with any occasion from work to casual to night life.  Not to mention, it's incredibly compact, making packing it as easy as stuffing it into my little Marc Jacobs purse.

Posing at Dekalb Market in Downtown Brooklyn.

Thanks to my friend Caitlin who indulged me when I asked her to take these pictures on our lunch break.  Clearly, she has a lot of patience for dealing with my inner Tyra Banks.  If you're wondering what's behind me, we had lunch over at Dekalb Market, a marketplace filled with restaurants and clothing stores within storage containers over in Downtown Brooklyn.  Unfortunately, Dekalb is closing this October to make way for a Century 21.  If you're in Brooklyn and looking for lunch you should check it out!  I recommend getting a salad at Next Door Organics, a grilled cheese sandwich at Mrs. Dorsey's, blueberry mint lemonade at Cheesesteak, and a cupcake at Robicelli's.

Give me a holler with what you think.  Have you ever reworked an outfit?  Share and leave a comment down below.

3 comments:

  1. lovely pics!!
    I invite you to visit my blog on http://lavieceswtchic.blogspot.com and my fb page on www.facebook.com/laviecestchic hope you like it!!!
    KiSSes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marika! Loving your blog too. The editorial pics are gorgeous!

      Delete